Here are a couple of pros and cons of changing your blog’s name. These are general ones that I thought of, but I would encourage you to make your own list!
- You have the opportunity to re-brand yourself.
- Going through a change is fun and exciting!
- You can pick an original name that you can ensure no one else has. This is a great opportunity if your current name is really common.
- Changing your name might make you feel better and more confident about your blog, especially if you really don’t like your current one.
- Changing your blog name might confuse some of your readers.
- If you don’t set up a 301 redirect correctly, people could still try to visit your old blog and have trouble finding your new one (this is not a problem if you set up a 301 redirect correctly).
- Until your new name gets reestablished, people might not know who you are. You lose your established online presence.
- You will have to update all your publisher and author contacts with your new URL and blog name so that they know who you are.
- If your review has been quoted in a book or on a site anywhere, you lose that connection to your blog, since it will be under the old name.
- You will be unable to change your Facebook page name. You can change the URL but not the name of the actual page. You will either have to create a new one (and lose followers) or live with the fact that the URL doesn’t match your name.